Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I Am Not Cut Out For Anorexia

So, that juice cleanse that I mentioned on Friday?  Worst. Idea. Ever. 

Turns out, my husband followed through 100%.  Until today, he had not consumed anything other than our juices and the allowed teas/water since Saturday night.  CRAZY!  I, on the other hand, cheated every day.  And by cheated, I mean I had a sweet potato for dinner on 2 of the 3 nights, because I was about ready to die. 

A colleague of mine is currently doing a 3-day cleanse as well and, I have to say, her juices taste like magic compared to those we had.  Ours, quite literally, tasted like dirt.  And earth.  And everything disgusting.  Those she had?  They taste like V8 Splash!  While I do not think I would ever do this again, if I did dare to venture down this path in the future, I would most definitely go with a different cleanse company.

Here is a look into our daily meal liquid consumption over the course of the past 3 days:

*Disclaimer: You must drink your 16 oz. juices every 2 hours throughout the course of the day until they are completed.

Green Lantern - You THINK it is going to be like a fun, green smoothie that has leafy greens, like spinach, hidden into the mixture.  FALSE!  Instead, this concoction combines romaine lettuce, spinach leaves, parsley, cucumber, celery stalks, green apples, lemon and ginger root.  Sound refreshing?  It is not....

Haute Lemonade - This was actually my favorite of the juices, but....that is relative.  This one is a lemonade with cayenne pepper. It CLAIMS to be naturally sweetened with organic agave nectar and grade A maple syrup, but I am not buying that nonsense.  There was NOTHING sweet about this!

Maroon Five - No, not the band with that handsome front man.  That would have gone down nice and smooth.  This was the WORST of all of the juices as it was a thick, maroon mixture of the following 5 ingredients: beet, carrot, apple, lemon, ginger.  I am gagging just thinking about it....

Repeat Green Lantern here.  Trust me, it is even harder to keep down the second time around.

Repeat Maroon Five here.  Remember when I said the Green Lantern was hard to keep down the second time around?  This one was kind of like that, but on steroids

Cashew Milk - I thought this one was going to be awesome.  I really like almond and coconut milks, so I was ready to take this one on as a nice relief to the other crappy flavors throughout the day.  They described it as a creamy, protein rich drink full of vitamin E.  LIES!  In reality, it tasted like feet.  I never even made it half way through one of these on any of the days.


You may be wondering what have I learned from this exercise?  Well, a few things:

1. I am not always full of great ideas.

2. No one should ever worry that I am capable of living with an eating disorder.

3. I really love food more than I realized.


My husband really got a kick out of all of this as it was my great idea and I have been begging him to do something like this with me for years.  We both went into this expecting me to be the one to stick with it and him being the one to cave and eat.  So for me to be the one unable to see it through entirely, well that was a little disheartening as I am terribly competitive.  I realize this was not a competition per se, but....let's be honest.  It kind of was.  And I lost.  MISERABLY.

What I was not prepared for was the fact that my blood sugar levels would drop SO low and I would just feel completely nauseous, dizzy, fatigued.  I know they warn you about those things, but I did not realize they would hit me so hard.  My husband had an easier go than I did with those elements.  I had headaches every day that just lingered as well.  Not fun.

For all of the complaining outlined above, I will say this: I successfully passed up cookies and treats in the office yesterday and brownies and cake today.  As the massive sweet tooth that I am, you would think that I would be feigning for a sugar fix.  I am not.  Instead, I am craving more salty foods - like chips and salsa.  So if nothing else, maybe this will help curb my sugar cravings long term?  God willing....

I have also noticed that I am, generally speaking, not as hungry today (now that I can eat food again).  I had the suggested oatmeal for breakfast today and a salad for lunch.  I am, of course, now fasting for the 4 hours prior to having my blood work done, but I do not really think I would be hungry even if it were just a normal day.  Maybe my stomach has shrunk after all?!

All in all, no I would not recommend doing something like this unless you are truly unhealthy and are doing it to jump start your healthier lifestyle.  As my husband and I are relatively healthy eaters to begin with (organic foods, fresh fruits and veggies daily, etc.), I do not know that this was really necessary for someone with our type of lifestyle.  Of course some weeks are worse than others (what can I say, I need that pizza and pasta in my life!), but overall, we live on proteins and veggies during the week and allow ourselves to cheat on the weekends.  As such, I believe the best "detox" for us would simply be eating clean and exercising. 

Lesson learned!



No comments:

Post a Comment