Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I Don't Think You're Ready For This Jelly

A totally random thought for the day, but.....

As, arguably, one of the biggest sweet tooths on the planet, this is a random observation I have had over the course of the past month or so.  Since Fridays during the summer (at least in my industry) are prime for vacation and tend to be cut short, those of us who are actually in the office try to make it a little extra "special" for each other.  How you might ask?  Simple...doughnuts!

I always find it very interesting to see the variety of doughnuts purchased by one individual to the next; however, my favorite discovery is that almost everyone feels obligated to buy at least one jelly-filled doughnut.  And every time, no one ever eats it.  NEVER.  Why is that?

I mean, it is my own, personal opinion that they are disgusting, but is there really no one out there who enjoys these Bismarks?  I even attempted a cursory check online to see if any studies have been done on this subject. 

After approximately 2 minutes of useless results, I decided I no longer cared nor did I feel the need to proceed with this research project.  Judging by the lack of readily available information, I was able to draw the conclusion that, much like my own workplace, the masses no longer have a desire for this dying breed of pastry.



They really bring nothing to the party, when you think about it:

  • The obvious mess in consumption.

  • No glaze, sprinkles or icing, all key elements to a successful pastry.

  • Too much dough.

  • If powdered sugar must be used, jelly doughnuts really have nothing on beignets (which I would prefer to only consume in the great city of New Orleans).

  • The jelly itself is often suspect at best.

So the next time you partake in a sweet treat for breakfast, be sure to get at least one jelly to test the waters amongst your core group of colleagues and/or acquaintances.  My guess is that no one will touch that thing or, if they do, it is because there are literally no remaining options available.....and they are starving and/or most likely hungover.

I guess it is true what they say...we really ARE NOT ready for that jelly.





1 comment:

  1. Apparently I'm the only one who eats the jelly doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete