Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dear Mom....

Last weekend we hit a major milestone in my family: my mother retired after almost 35 years with the federal government.  And not only did she retire, but she was able to officially do so on her 55th birthday - talk about one of the best birthday gifts EVER!  Trust me when I say she really went out with a bang.  Her colleagues/friends were so sweet and really did it up nice for her. 

Thursday evening they arranged a more low-key, relaxed party at a local establishment where the turnout was amazing.  I was expecting maybe a handful of people when we arrived from Chicago, but the place was packed.  Probably 30 + people!  It was great to see my mom in a social setting with her colleagues who clearly think so highly of her.  My dad was able to fly in from Houston that day to join the festivities as well, so that was perfect (more on that another time...).  The only thing missing was my brother, sister-in-law and adorable little niece, but they were able to make it down from Indy in time for the official bash at the courthouse the next day.

Friday was a bittersweet experience for my mom, I could tell.  As happy as she was to be retiring and have her entire family there to share it with, it was such an emotional experience for her to be walking away from such a major part of her life.  I was in awe of how many people my mom has touched along the way and how upset they all were to see her go.  There were probably close to 50 people in attendance - many retired judges and FBI agents who my mother had not seen in years.  She felt so blessed to be in such great company as stories were told in her honor.  Multiple people were brought to tears as they showered my mom with love (and swag - she got some Tiffany's jewels and a new iPad!) and some were even unable to finish their thoughts when they stood up to speak!  I have known for a long time that my mom was good at her job, but it was really an eye opening experience to see just HOW exceptional she has been throughout all of these years, all the while maintaining her superior status as a mother and wife.



Only recently has my mom told me that after I was born she asked to be brought on as a part-time employee, but they - in so many words or less - told her to take a hike.  As much as she did not want to do it, and as bad as she felt leaving me, she held her head high and went back to work as planned.  Three years later, when my brother came along, I know it was a tough decision for her then as well, but she did it.  She has often told us how badly she felt about not being a stay at home mom for us, but I could never really understand why

My brother and I had an amazing childhood.  We grew up in the same town where our parents were raised and our grandparents were always right around the corner.  We were both extremely active in sports and extra curricular activities and my parents never missed ANYTHING that we were involved with.  As an adult, I now appreciate all of this, but still do not know how they did it.  My dad traveled for work a decent amount and my mom worked full-time, yet they managed to be there for us every day of the week - literally.  Between the two of us - swimming, basketball, tennis, football, soccer, golf, baseball and throw in your occasional school-related function - they never missed a beat.  For me, that meant dragging me to swim practice at 5am every morning and being there to pick me up after 7pm when the school day and second practice had ended during the week and then traveling on the weekends to whatever major meet destination I had throughout the Midwest.  COMMITTED.

 

My friends and I always joked - still do - that my mother never slept when we were growing up.  She would always be up, even when we would get home from a late night in high school or when we were home from college.  I know now that it is because she worried about us and needed to know that we got home safely.  Typical mother....But her retirement activities really got me thinking about all of these things. 

My mom was 26 years old when she had me, I am now 28 with no real signs of being prepared - mentally or physically - to have children.  My brother, on the other hand, went in the complete opposite direction.  He got married right out of college and welcomed his first child a month before his 24th birthday.  I realize people choose to take different paths, and that is OK, but my mom's retirement has allowed all of these thoughts to surface organically....in a good way, of course! 

It is so crazy to experience your adult life coming to fruition and begin to understand just how much children take away from their parents without realizing it.  I like to think I am the perfect mix of my parents - which I think I am...now.  It is no secret that I am more my father's daughter, but the older I get I appreciate and respect my mom and the sacrifices she has made for our family more and more with each passing day.  What I can only hope for is that as I continue on my journey and encounter the blessings - and obstacles - that life throws my way, that I do it with the same devotion, grace and positivity that my mother has done for so many years. 

Here's to my mom, as she begins her well-deserved retirement! 


No comments:

Post a Comment