Saturday, April 28, 2012

Working [out] For The Weekend!

Once Saturday morning roles around, my sights are always set on the food situation for Saturday night. I am such a fat kid at heart....

I would not say I am a full blown "foodie" per se, but my husband and I definitely have "foodie" tendencies - no doubt. Food has become a form of entertainment for us and our friends on some level. Every great night starts with a great meal where we are able to enjoy good company and relax over a glass of wine, a refreshing beer and good eats.

Living in Chicago with so many great chefs and culinary masterminds, it is almost impossible not to be drawn in to the restaurant scene. From high-end, world renowned Michelin Star operations to local, neighborhood establishments,Chicago runs the gamut. Varying price point options often help us determine what selections are best suited for our outings as well - special occasions call for a special meal, after all!

More so than our passion for food, however, is our passion for fatty foods. Pizza, cheeseburgers, fried chicken, BBQ and all things in between. And because I am the biggest sweet tooth on the planet, go ahead and super size the dessert options. I cannot resist the temptation of a flour less chocolate cake with a side of gelato. What can I say? I have no will power.

What I can say is that I have finally established a set protocol - or damage control, if you will - to accommodate my bad habits. Tracking my food, eating healthy during the week and cheating on the weekends, combined with exercise at least five days a week, has proven to be my secret weapon.

Simply put, I will run two extra miles on any given day to make sure I can house a hot fudge sundae later that night. I workout because I love pizza and spaghetti and ice cream and cupcakes  have taught myself how to maintain a healthy lifestyle without depriving myself of my favorite things. I have educated myself on reading nutrition labels to ensure I am not consuming more than an actual serving size (yes, I am that girl who will count out the twenty-eight pretzel sticks so that I know it is only one serving), and that I am maximizing my daily caloric intake with the most quality food sources I can.

Most importantly, I also allow myself one "treat" per day during the week as well. Now do not be fooled, I try to make sure this is a healthier treat option - such as: Skinny Cow ice cream bars, Swiss Miss Sensible Sweets/Diet Hot Chocolate, etc. I would be lying if I told you it satisfies my sweet cravings entirely, but it definitely helps to curb them and get me through the week.

So maybe Friday will be your "bad food" night out, or Saturday, or sometimes it may even be both!  Just make sure to add one more day of exercise to your schedule that week to counteract your "addictions" -  remember, it is all about balance and moderation!

....off to dinner!





No comments:

Post a Comment