Monday, April 30, 2012

The Ferby

The first weekend in May has always been one of my favorite weekends of the year.  I have been fortunate enough to have family living in Louisville, providing me with free lodging and accommodations for the Kentucky Oaks and Derby for the past five plus years.  Every year, a group of us make the trip down from Chicago for the festivities, and every year we have clearly taken maximum advantage of the situation without even realizing it. 

This year, however, everything has changed.  I feel like such an outsider as I am no longer a "local" and have been forced to rummage through the limited hotel options and their outrageous costs that have been jacked up so high they look like Courtney Love on a good day.  You see, my parents have recently relocated to Houston, leaving all of us left to fend for ourselves against the chaos that is the Kentucky Derby.

Being the responsible adults that we are, we have carefully weighed our options and, ultimately, decided that we would not be able to do it up the way we are used to and, in a unanimous decision, determined it was in our best interest to take this year off.  Have no fear, we will be back in action for 2013, but the 2012 Run for the Roses will have to be enjoyed in the comfort of our own backyard.  We have opted to head out to Arlington Park to take it all in via live broadcast in what we are now referring to as: The Ferby (Fake Derby).  Sure, the mint juleps will not taste as sweet, the tailgate situation may be non-existent and I probably will not be as excited when I win my millions, but we will still be able to fill that Derby void as we place our bets and enjoy the day.

Although it is likely just as effective of a strategy to choose the winners based on the names I like best, I like to do my research on all of the horses and jockeys in the field before I make my final decisions on who I intend to throw my money away on each year.  I mean I really get into it - I will look at the races throughout the past year, where the horses finished, did they do best on turf or on dirt, who was the most consistent jockey when the horses finished in the top three, were any of the Derby contenders in the same races and where did they finish in comparison to one another, when was the last time the horses ran, what were their workout times during the past week, etc.  I have also really made an effort to familiarize myself with the jockeys and trainers throughout the past few years, so I am able to accurately determine "who is hot and who is not" leading up to the Derby race.

I like to think I am more than just a girl in a big hat when Derby weekend rolls around.  I take pride in being a part of the tradition of it all and I find myself impressed by the horses themselves more and more as each year passes.  They are so insanely beautiful and intense all at the same time.  Inevitably, I always end up mad at myself for enjoying an activity that clearly wears and tears on these gorgeous creatures - what can I say, the animal lover in me will always prevail - but the feeling you experience when you see (and hear) the stampede of horses as they round that last turn and head into the final stretch is a feeling that I could never even begin to explain.  The level of excitement you feel as you are watching the race and that feeling of uncertainty of how it may turn out.  Your adrenalin is rushing and your heart is beating a million miles a minute on the off chance that you might actually hit the jackpot.  To say it is a complete whirlwind of emotions would be an understatement.  There is a reason the Kentucky Derby is referred to as "The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports," and it lives up to its reputation year after year.

I am still in the process of researching to determine who I will be backing this year and who my final picks will be.  Once they draw post positions this week, I will have a better indication of what my decisions for the weekend will hold as we head out to the track on Saturday morning.  I know it will not feel the same as it has these past five years, being in on the live action down in Louisville, but I am excited to be able to continue on the tradition of participating in the Derby madness in at least some capacity!


 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment