Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Voice Should Be Heard

Everyone should be aware that I have a mild obsession with singing shows.  So much so that it was taking up almost all of the space on our DVR at one point, until my husband was forced to restrict me to just two singing shows per year.  I wish I were kidding...  If I am being completely honest, I also often sneak in episodes of American Idol or Glee when my husband is traveling and I have been known to arrange impromptu late night Korean karaoke excursions from time to time.  So maybe this obsession goes well beyond singing shows alone...My name is Ali and I am an addict.

This year, I chose my two shows wisely.  Simon says, so I obviously turned my back on Idol and started tuning in to his new show, The X Factor.  I was so disappointed.  Aside from the obvious differences from Idol - Pepsi vs. Coke, Verizon vs. AT&T - the show itself was more about the judges rather than the talent.  They were, at times, simply mean to everyone who was not on their own team and did not appear to be objectively judging anything.  Only when Paula's groups were all voted off was there, finally, a voice of reason.  If she is what a show is reliant on to succeed, there is a serious problem.  Of course, I watched the entire season and, thankfully, the most deserving singer won...What?  I had already committed, people!

Moving on to choice number two - The Voice.  This is my favorite vocal competition on TV and, in my opinion, has the best overall concept - hands down.  This was a no brainer.  My friend, Tom, and I provide commentary on a weekly basis and trust me when I say we hold nothing back.  As a weekly feature, I would like to re-cap these shows by showcasing our banter (or texts rather) verbatim.  So from this week's Team Adam vs. Team CeeLo performance and elimination episodes, see below:

Warning: The following contains the use of profanity and clear signs of A.D.D.

Ali (7:20pm): PS - I've not watched The Voice from last night yet, so no spoilers!

Tom (7:22pm): Good call - was about to start the commentary

Ali (8:02pm): Mmmmk.  I just started last night's episode.  Sorry, I got sucked into Glee b/c they were doing Whitney.

Ali (8:03pm): First and foremost - Adam went from UBER hot/sexy to total douche with that new haircut.  This has been bothering me for a couple of weeks now.  He keeps wearing f'ing button downs that look like they are choking him.

Tom (8:03pm): My mom has a crush on him and said he looks like a convict now.

Ali (8:04pm): I had a maaaaaajor crush on him and now I am saddened.

Tom (8:05pm): When anyone does the top button on a flannel, they automatically look like a thug.

Ali (8:05pm): CeeLo has gas!

Tom (8:05pm): Haha.  I thought his team performance was the tits.

Ali (8:06pm): I haven't seen it yet, but they are struuuuugling to get through this intro because he keeps shitting his pants.  I'm dying.

Tom (8:08pm): Haha.  I was wondering what they were freaking out about, I wasn't paying attention yesterday.

Ali (8:08pm): Hilarious.  Adam goes, "you smell like a fart."

Ali (8:09pm): I kinda love Jamar Rogers, but hate how he's f'ing with Bon Jovi.

Tom (8:10pm): He's a mess.  Worse than a Biggest Loser contestant.  Years everywhere.  *tears.

Tom (8:11pm): Katrina Parker melted my face off.  btw - she looks like a different person now.

Ali (8:16pm): For the love of God, sing an upbeat song!  Oh shit, does she have a wig on now?  She looks like Adele.

Tom (8:18pm): Yupppppp. Is that a wig?

Ali (8:23pm): I honestly don't know.  Haha.  Adam Just flat out told her she was never one of his favorites. 

Ali (8:24pm): I like almost feel sorry for James Massone.  He is legit terrified, but it comes across as cocky.

Tom (8:25pm): He wasn't good AT ALL.  We already have Mike Posner.

Ali (8:25pm): Cheesa is bringin' it on this team performance.

Tom (8:26pm): She dominated.

Ali (8:29pm): Yea, she kinda did.  I think Maitai blows.

Ali (8:30pm): Yes, I spelled Mai Tai.  Like the drink.  *Mathai.  Whatever.

Tom (8:30pm): She's an Indian Dia Frampton wannabe.

Ali (8:30pm): Except Dia Frampton was awesome.

Tom (8:31pm): Truth

Ali (8:58pm): Cheesa is a chunker.  And dat dress ain't helpin' gurl.

Tom (8:58pm): Haha

Ali (9:00pm): I liked Pip at first, but now I find his shtick annoying.  He's just so boring.

Tom (9:02pm): I gave him credit for choosing a Killers song a week or two back, but I've been over his shtick.

Ali (9:10pm): Yea.  Same.  I love that Adam is just playing the drums and that's it.  No singing.

Tom (9:11pm): He's like Blake, takes the backseat.

Ali (9:13pm): Yep.  My girl Juliet got a hair dye. Don't like it.

Tom (9:14pm): She looks more like punk rock Simpson.

Ali (9:15pm): Yea, her performance kinda sucked.  She's way better than she sang.

Ali (9:34pm): Dang, that Mouseketeer beat Katrina for America's vote?!

Ali (9:35pm): Jamar's hair is whack.

Ali (9:50pm): Could Adam talk any fucking longer?  I can't believe they are letting him go on this long.

Ali (9:54pm): Um, Cheesa's save me song was garbage.

Ali (9:56pm): Natalie Imbruglia?  Yes, please.

Ali (10:00pm): Thank God he saved Juliet.  They finally got it all right this week.


So what we can learn from this week?
  • From 8:31pm to 8:58pm there was a clear lull in the show, where I was either bored or I must have found the performances acceptable, but not amazing. 
    • I believe the former Mouseketeer's rendition of Baby One More Time took place during this time frame, so that would make sense.  I found his song choice rather amusing and felt that it worked to his advantage. 
      • I apparently did not deem it worthy of commenting on, but America must have agreed that they thought it worked as they voted him through to the next round.
  • From 9:34pm to 10pm, I was talking to myself and Tom had lost all interest in the conversation.
  • This was a relatively terrible critique.  In fact, I am a little disappointed in ourselves having re-capped it for you here as it is filled with no relevance whatsoever.  Next week will be better....
Of the remaining contestants, my top three (in no particular order) are as follows: Juliet and Jamar (I am a sucker for his positive energy) from Team CeeLo and Erin from Team Blake.  Who are you guys pulling for this season?  Be sure to tune in next week so we can re-cap together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment