Saturday, June 23, 2012

I Like LeBron James. Deal With It.

I realize "like" may be perceived as a very strong word when used in the same sentence as LeBron James, and I will surely get a lot of flack for posting my opinions on this topic, no doubt.  Perhaps I should say that I respect the talent of LeBron James more than anything, but I do on some level actually kind of like him, if I am being honest.  He is good for the game, I believe that. 

This is an ongoing debate in my family of two.  I can honestly sit here and say that this is the one and only  topic of discussion that my husband and I disagree so strongly about that it almost always results in a heated conversation.  Let's be honest...if LeBron James is the worst of our problems, I think we are bound for success, no?! 

I am sure you are reading this and thinking I am completely off my rocker as well - a lot of people do, and that is fine.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but let me lay out the facts for you, from my perspective, for the avoidance of doubt:

  • Do I think he acted like an idiot? YES.
 
  • Do I think he probably did have good intentions, but did not entirely consider how poorly it would be perceived?  I THINK SO. 

  • Do I think he is most likely an ego-maniac?  DUH.  WE HAVE CREATED THIS MONSTER.  WE HAVE CODDLED HIM SINCE MIDDLE SCHOOL AND MADE CLAIMS THAT HE IS THE NEXT MICHAEL JORDAN SINCE BEFORE HE WAS 20...THIS IS NOT ENTIRELY A RESULT OF HIS OWN DOING.


  • Do I think he deserves to have the right to be traded in free agency and utilize his talent as a business  just like the teams he plays for do?  WITHOUT QUESTION. 

All of these things (among many others), of course, are debatable and I am not here to turn haters into supporters.  I do agree that there are a number of reasons to dislike the manner in which he and his teammates chose to parade themselves around during free agency, creating false hope for teams like the Chicago Bulls, but I also think there are a number of reasons that LBJ deserves a little more love to be thrown his way.  Above all, however, the guy just wants to win.    Can't we all agree on that?

I live in Chicago, and when the possibility of Dwyane {yes, this is actually how he spells his name} Wade and LeBron joining D. Rose and taking their talents to the windy city was still in existence, trust me when I say the entire city was on board.  Had The Decision resulted in an announcement to relocate here, the great people of Chicago would be feeling entirely different than they are now.  Sure, Cleveland still would have been pissed, and rightfully so, but only for an acceptable grieving period.  Seriously, Cleveland, it is time to move on.  This has been strung along for such a long time and made out to be this messy divorce when, at its core, the NBA is a business.

Alas, we are a nation that loves to criticize, but we also love to hate.  We inherently root for the underdog, just because - perhaps because we cannot resist a great story, but that is just what the tall tale of the whore of Akron is.  A great story.  So why can't we let it go?  The seemingly never-ending saga of the The Decision and the extreme levels of hate that were generated in its aftermath may never die down, but at least LBJ now has the hardware to show for it.

As a friendly reminder, let us not forget that we are all entitled to our own thoughts and opinions, but come on guys, if someone like Michael Vick deserves a second chance, do we not think LeBron James does too?




No comments:

Post a Comment