Monday, June 18, 2012

I've Still Got It....

Last Thursday I was in a mad rush as I was getting ready for work, trying to get out the door to catch the train.  We had returned from Sedona late on Wednesday night, so I tried to maximize as much sleep as I could - of course this resulted in absolutely no possible way to take my time getting ready.  As a result, I walked out the door and realized I did not have on my wedding/engagements rings.  Epic fail!

The day went on as usual, just feeling a little "naked" on the left hand without any hardware, but on the way home I experienced a very unexpected encounter....

Let me preface this by saying I completely zone out when I am reading.  I get so focused that I can literally block out everything around me.  That being said, I was deep into The Girl Who Played with Fire when I was startled by the man sitting on the other side of the train. 

He was a good looking guy in a suit.  Not my type, but a good looking guy none the less.  "Psst, Miss.  Hey, miss...."  Who knows how long he was trying to get my attention, but he had broken my concentration and there was no way of pretending I did not hear him.  The conversation went on as follows:

ALI: "Yes?"

GUY: "Hi, I saw you getting on the train this morning and I just felt like I needed to tell you, that is SUCH a great shirt."

ALI: "Oh, thank you."

GUY: "No, really.  I mean, it is SUCH a great cut on you, and a great color too."

ALI: "Aw, that is nice - thank you."

GUY: "I mean it.  The color really compliments your skin and goes great with your eyes."

ALI: ....now feeling a bit awkward at how long this has gone on....should I compliment his outfit too?!  "Thanks."

{awkward silence}

GUY: ...leaning over the railing where luggage goes with hand reached out across the aisle for a handshake.... "I am Chris, by the way."

ALI: "Hi, Chris.  I'm Alison"

{at first, it seemed as though he was just being nice, but then the realization that he most likely does not want to be my friend sets in.  a state of panic ensues as I remember I do not have my wedding/engagement rings on and he would think I was lying if I needed to jump to that conclusion.}

This lull in the conversation was timed somewhat perfectly, as the train was slowing down and pulling up to my stop.  Then I remembered...

{Shit, he saw me this morning!  That means he is getting off at this stop too!} 

Luckily, we were seated on opposite sides of the train and he got shuffled around in the crowd a bit.  I noticed out the window that he lingered at the bottom of the steps very briefly, but when I did not appear right away he decided to continue on. 

{Phew!} 

As I stepped off of the train and walked my way into the clear, I had to smile.  I have not been hit on in a long time and that was a relatively harmless encounter.  I more so went into a state of panic because I did not want to be deemed a liar without evidence that I am, in fact, married!  So, of course, I walked in the door and immediately shared the story with my husband.  He got a real kick out of it as I reminded him that I've still got it..... 





No comments:

Post a Comment