Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bikram Yoga

No, I do not live under a rock...I have heard the success stories and praises by many - celebs and peers alike - on just how great yoga is for the body, mind and soul.  To be completely transparent, I have always really wanted to get into it as a compliment to my typical workout routine of strength and cardio training as well.  I did give it a test run through one of the offered yoga classes at my gym, but it did not really do it for me at all.  I left that class feeling like I experienced no real workout at all.  Not to mention, I truly did not know what I was doing....

I am the type of person who needs a challenge in a workout.  I love boot camp classes, spinning classes, etc.  Anything that requires you to sweat and work your ass off (not to mention unspoken competition), I am all about it.  I think that is why I have steered clear of yoga up until this point.  It just did not seem to provide the type of workout I was interested in.

One of my husband's best friends moved to Chicago from New York last week and he has been hitting up a Bikram Yoga studio in our neighborhood regularly.  He swears by Bikram (hot yoga).  I, of course, made the mistake of expressing interest - he showed me all 26 poses online, walked me through every single one of them, explained that he is by no means an expert, that I should not be intimidated, etc.  This all ended in him saying he was going to purchase the new members 1 month membership for me and force me to join him.  Yikes!   

Obviously I would not let him pay for my membership, but I am seriously considering giving it a shot.  While nothing about this sounds all that appealing to me - heat, YUCK! - I feel like it will be a good way of relieving some stress.  Who knows, I might actually like it.  I do like the repetition and sequence of it all, the fact that I will be able to practice and better myself.  That sounds promising for success....and a reason to stay committed.

So I am thinking once I get back from Spain on the 28th, I will sign up for the 1 month trial membership effective October 1st.  That way I can really maximize the month and start October off on the right foot.  I very well could end up hating this, but at least I will know once and for all that I gave yoga a legitimate shot. 

On the flip slide, it would be pretty cool to say I was capable of doing this:



Who am I kidding?  Baby steps.....


No comments:

Post a Comment