Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Worst Nightmare

At the age of 30, I have the same recurring dream that I have had for years - that I never actually graduated high school. WTF?!

There tend to be slight variations from one dream to the next, but the core story line is always the same: the administrative offices did not accurately count my credits and, despite taking college placement courses, I failed to meet the requirements to earn a high school diploma in the state of Indiana. Again, WTF?!

I was never a bad student, nor was the possibility of not graduating high school ever a concern. Which is why I always find it so strange. What the hell does it mean?!


I feel it is necessary to clarify that this is by no means something I'm truly bothered by. I more so just happened to find the information I came across interesting:

Dreaming about school points to feelings of inadequacy and anxieties about your ability. If you are no longer in school, such dreams may point to unresolved childhood issues. The dream may also reflect a life lesson that you need to learn.

Hmm... I don't necessarily agree that the above is entirely accurate. Now the following little factoids behind the meaning of Dream Themes specific to school though?  These are much more intriguing:

To dream that you do not have enough units or credits to graduate suggests that you are not giving yourself enough credit to your successes and achievements. You are short-changing yourself of your accomplishments.
To dream that you have to repeat high school suggests that you are doubting your accomplishments and the goals that you have already completed. You feel that you may not be measuring up to the expectation of others. The dream may occur because some recent situation may have awakened old anxieties and insecurities.
A dream that takes place in school may be a metaphor for the lessons that you are learning from your waking life. You may be going through a "spiritual learning" experience.

Maybe now that I have the ability to decode said dreams they will no longer occur? I can only hope I fall into a much more exciting dream pattern of murders and mysteries - I feel those will lend themselves nicely to more entertaining blog entries!



No comments:

Post a Comment