Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Mother Nature - The Biggest Asshole I Know

Every morning I wake up and check the Chicago weather conditions. Mostly because I have no idea if I can expect snow in June or 80 degrees in November and I need to be prepared for the day ahead...

While I am at it, and because my fancy iPhone allows me this luxury via a single app, I also look at the weather offerings in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Phoenix, St. Louis and Tulsa....pretty much everywhere I have family.

On average, I'd say there tends to be a 5-10 degree swing in temps across the Midwest cities (with Cleveland being the sometimes exception and notoriously terrible as suspected), but the mistake I have made is the inclusion of Phoenix in the mix. When I see what they are working with on a daily basis out west, I am catapulted into a state of depression. I sometimes wonder if I may actually be depressed from lack of vitamin D? I swear, that's a thing.

But I shouldn't limit my level of hostility to Phoenix only. No, sir!

Over the course of the past few weeks, I have been on constant weather watch and there have been extreme differences in Chicago compared to the likes of St. Louis and Cincinnati. We just cannot catch a break!  Take today for example: SURE, it's sunny outside; however, it's windy...and cold...and so much warmer everywhere else. Does Mother Nature hate Chicago?

I shouldn't complain, I guess. 50 DOES feel like 80 after the negative degrees we have grown so accustomed to. And it certainly beats the tornadoes sweeping the country as of late...

Still, it would be nice to not have such bipolar weather conditions for a change. To know we are finally in the clear to experience an actual season - ideally, the spring I have been dreaming of - would be welcomed by Chicagoans with open arms.




No comments:

Post a Comment