Wednesday, July 30, 2014

21. Days. Out.

As of today, we are 21 days out from our departure to South Africa! There are so many complexities in preparing for this trip, but the biggest cause for concern is the packing situation. It very well could take me the next 21 days to figure out how I am going to stuff 16 days worth of clothing into a tiny duffel bag. You read that correctly, a DUFFEL bag...

Now this is not just any  duffel bag, no sir. It must come correct in a soft, non-rolling exterior that complies with the 10" x 26" x 12" measurement restrictions we are so generously allotted. So those 16 days worth of clothing, which are sure to entail multiple changes throughout the day for different activities? Yeeeeea, they are going to need to fit into this thing:




So you see my predicament here... I am quite literally making spreadsheets to create different outfits with the most minimal pieces possible. This. Shit. Ain't. Easy.

I don't know if it will be possible to scale back any further than I already have, without compromising comfort, fashion and practicality. Even worse? I am yet to determine if I can fit everything into my bag for fear that it will not be big enough!

Space aside, trying to pack for a trip that consists of half safari and half Cape Town, Simon's Town and Franschhoek has really thrown me for a loop. The color restrictions for safari leave little to be desired in the color pallet for the rest of the trip. I do not mind the neutral colors that are required per se, but it does make styling looks for the trip as a whole very difficult. Sorry, but I want to be trendy and comfortable in every city!

If given the option of most fashion forward safari goer or frumpiest American tourist that ever existed, I'm choosing most fashion forward safari goer every time!  Styling for comfort is easy, but drab colors can make this challenging for all styles of clothing. I am opting for a lot of earth tones, specifically browns and olive greens in varying shades. These are proving to be my most versatile colors to work with across the board.

You are probably thinking the same thing I was when I set out on this journey - jewelry is going to be key in pulling different looks together with multipurpose pieces. Wouldn't you know it? It's recommended to NOT wear jewelry (diamonds or anything of value specifically) while in South Africa. Ya know, because you will be robbed most likely if you do. You win again, Africa!

One very real question I do have, and everyone keeps laughing at me when I ask it, is whether or not I can get away with wearing my cheetah print pants on safari?! Seems to me this would be a sure fire yes, but the overall consensus is that I would be an asshole to wear them on an actual safari. Needless to say, I am bringing them with me regardless....

Right now, my packing list has officially dwindled itself down to the following items:

Clothing:

  • 2 Toppers (rain jacket, cardigan/wrap)
  • 8 Tops: 2 Tanks (olive colored tank, tan colored tank), 2 T-Shirts (gray tee, brown tee), 2 blouses (white colored blouse, tan hi-neck sleeveless blouse), 2 long-sleeve shirts (TBD colors)
  • 7 Bottoms (khaki shorts, jean shorts, green cargo pants, brown linen pants, cheetah print pants, boyfriend jeans, grey Lululemon pants)
  • 2 Dresses (olive colored tank dress, maxi dress)
  • 1 Swimsuit
  • Hiking/Workout Attire (running shorts x 2, workout tanks x 2)
  • Pajamas (pants, tee)
  • Travel Outfit (brown cropped sweats, Lululemon hoodie, tee)
  • Underwear/Bras
  • Socks


Accessories:

  • 1 Scarf (olive green infinity scarf)
  • 1 Belt (brown skinny rope belt)
  • 1 Purse (brown and black bucket purse)
  • 1 hat (old UO Fedora)
  • 1 Pair of Sunglasses (brown Ray-Bans)
  • Jewelry (Polaris watch, silver/gold stud earrings, cheap bead bracelets (brown, tan, olive, etc.), cheap necklaces x3)


Shoes:

  • 3 Pairs of Shoes (tennis shoes, sandals, flats)


Electronics and Gadgets:

  • Binoculars
  • Camera (camera bag, charger and lenses) and Air Pump for ridding dust on lenses
  • Outlet Adapter(s)
  • iPad and charger
  • iPhone and charger


Other:

  • Bug repellent and mosquito repellent wrist bands
  • First-Aid (Band-Aids, Cortizone, etc.)
  • Meds (Dramamine and motion sickness wrist bands, Imitrex, BC, Anti-Diarrhea pills, Malaria pills)
  • Make-up (Foundation, Powder, Blush, Mascara, Lip Balm)
  • Face Wipes
  • Passport 


Pretty impressive for 16 days/nights, right?!  Some of these selections may change or be removed once I get into the thick of packing, but I feel pretty confident in my plan of attack thus far. Next up: getting our vaccines and malaria pills next week! So close...



No comments:

Post a Comment