Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Remembering Robin

I told myself I would not jump on the Robin Williams mourning train this week, but it is monopolizing so much of my daily news intake, I am finding it difficult not to. What a sad moment for comedy, but even more so for the arts as a whole.

As the accolades from friends, fellow actors and complete strangers continue to pour, we struggle to understand how someone so accomplished, who brought such joy to the lives of others, was fighting so many demons personally. As great of an artist as we all knew him to be, perhaps Mr. Williams was even more talented than any of us ever could have realized - living every day as someone he probably wanted to be, but ultimately was not.

While the obvious stories of happiness, sympathy and condolences are showing no signs of slowing down - and rightfully so - I have taken notice of a less biased approach to the reports of depression and mental illness than we have seen in recent past. Maybe it is just me?!

In an age of elaborate acts of violence that so often tie themselves back to the disease, this single act of self inflicted harm reiterates that mental illness does not discriminate. It does not care about your age, gender or race. It does not matter how rich you are, how talented you may be or if you are famous. And it definitely does not give a shit about your dreams or aspirations. Mental illness is a serious mother fucker, and its darkness can cause even the brightest of lights to burn out abruptly.

There have been only a few celebrity deaths that have shaken me. None of which because I felt they were such terrific artists, or even that I was a huge fan, but more so because I found the manner in which they occurred so disturbing. But this time things feel a little different, don't they? This time it spans generations.

My Facebook news feed is completely flooded with stories of how Robin's characters touched so many individuals lives. My Instagram is filled with posts from celebrities - some who knew him personally, and some who simply respected his craft - crying out with emotion. I have not looked at Twitter, but I know without seeing it first hand that it is likely much of the same. How powerful it must be for his family and friends to know Robin's gift affected the lives of so many.

As I read all of the personal anecdotes, it reminds me of just how versatile he truly was. From Mrs. Doubtfire to Patch Adams, Hook to Mork & Mindy. Aladdin to Good Morning, Vietnam. Did I mention he won an Oscar for his role in Goodwill Hunting? This guy's talents were simply unbelievable. Let us hope he will be remembered only for such brilliance!



No comments:

Post a Comment