Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Shark Week.

As a child, I would look forward to this week every summer. It more or less fell the week before school started back up again, and allowed for one last exciting summer adventure in a way. But this year, as an adult even, this is probably the most focused and excited I have ever been. It is resonating so much more at 30 than it ever did as a kid - and that is saying a lot. 

I find myself completely giddy, smiling from ear to ear, as I watch the sharks breach for only the millionth time in my life. But this year it is different. This year I am days away from physically getting to experience this wild act of nature in real life. Days from taking the plunge into a shark cage off of the famed Seal Island, and diving with great white sharks for myself. 

Under normal circumstances, the 3+ hours of Discovery Channel per night might be considered excessive. Not this year. This year, I'm deeming it research...
  • I need to understand the modern day characteristics of great whites while they hunt. 
    • Note to self: shark attacked camera when it was fucking with it while trying to hunt. Do not do.
  • It is very necessary that I am aware of what angles I can best capture imagery. 
    • Note to self: guy on boat had big ass lens, took great pictures. Figure out how to do that.
  • Who wouldn't be interested in learning what exactly a chumsicle consists of? 
    • Note to self: freeze dead fish guts into large block and let melt. Will attract sharks.
  • I have to know why no one has ever seen this 20+ foot monster Hammerhead they call Hitler....wait, no...that's not relevant...

Needless to say, I am biting on all of it (see what I did there?). Watching with vested interest makes this year's Shark Week experience so much more rewarding. I will absolutely be that annoying adult who answers all of the questions when they are asked. So what?!  It is almost like I am getting the rare opportunity to fulfill my childhood dream of becoming a marine biologist, if only for just a few short hours on August 28th. Please do not take that away from me...

Ma, Pa, look... This is the company I'm diving with!




No comments:

Post a Comment