Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Travel Tales - Day 5

Day 5 - We had no real obligations for today aside from lunch and dinner reservations; however, we somehow managed to stay up until 3am the night before, and proceeded to damn near sleep through our spa appointments. A real African problem, I know.... We did manage to pull it together and get the day going as planned.

We regrouped back in the room and headed out to the first stop on Claire & Jason's day of anniversary celebrations. Or what the four of us will forever refer to as "Our Anniversary." We had lunch at the most amazing small plate restaurant, The PotLuck Club. Located at the very top of The Old Biscuit Mill with 360*, panoramic views, we definitely indulged in way more than we needed to.

From there, we enjoyed this small little village-like set up in the area of Cape Town called Woodstock. It was very small, filled with plenty of different types of shops to hold our interest for a few hours before we all realized we were in desperate need of a mid-day pick me up. Fortunately, we stumbled across this quaint coffee shop known as the Espresso Lab. Think: Walter White meets coffee beans. I secretly want to steal this concept and bring it back to the States with me. Who knows?! This could be my way of fulfilling my life long dream of becoming a barista!

Earlier in the day we made friends with our cab driver. He coordinated a pick-up for us from The Old Biscuit Mill and took us into the heart of the city, where the Greenmarket Square resides. We arranged for him to pick us up in an hour, once we got our fill of the chaos we were about to experience.

Not 5 seconds after I closed the door to the cab, I was grabbed by a young kid who was begging for money. He wrapped his arms around me and I quite literally had to push him off of me. He came at me again and B intervened. It was a completely harmless situation, and I had the presence of mind to have my belongings secured where there is no way he could have taken anything from me, but a little crazy nonetheless! As this was happening to me, Jason was simultaneously harassed by a woman begging for money as well. These are the kinds of things you are always warned about as a traveler, but rarely actually see first hand. Or it least in my own experiences, I had not....

Shortly thereafter, we decided we had enough (but not before I heckled an African bracelet vendor and B the gentleman selling the thumb pianos...). We found refuge in a nearby hotel, where we killed time over some beverages as we waited for our cab driver to return. Much to our surprise, we showed up to our designated meeting place 15 minutes late and our guy was right there waiting for us. That would never happen in Chicago!

The big 2 year anniversary dinner took place at Reuben's Restaurant at One & Only. It was a romantic experience for Jason and Claire, I am sure. Filled with completely inappropriate table talk involving bodily fluids - my favorite moment of the evening came when Jason released a never before told story. This one was for the ages... He was living with Claire at the time, in their first place, and found himself startled in the middle of the night. What was about to come, he was certainly not prepared for. I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say it ended with Jason "missing the toilet," on his hands and knees with a sponge and some 409. I believe "peanut butter-like texture" was the phrase used....

We also stumbled upon a rancid bottle of wine, something Jason will never live down! But despite the few setbacks, this was truly a memorable evening and the celebrated couple was pleased.












No comments:

Post a Comment