Monday, May 7, 2012

Birthdays and Weddings and Babies, Oh My!

I was making sure I had my calendar up to date today and I was shocked to see how insane this summer is going to be - yet again!  I thought last year was crazy - planning a wedding and all - but this year is scheduled to give it a run for its money.  I always joke that we never have a free weekend and when we do, I feel like it is spent doing something work-related or an obligatory activity that cannot be avoided.  Sure, some of those are a blast, but being an adult is a real pain in the ass at times, I will say that....

  • May - PhD celebration brunch for a friend.  Two birthdays (I mean three - I did not forget you Tom Cat!).  A retirement party in St. Louis.  Two weddings: one in Atlanta and one in Chicago

  • June - Our 1 year anniversary will be spent re-living our wedding in Sedona.  Later that month my best friend will welcome her first bundle of joy!  Two birthdays to remember and a potential baby shower thrown in there as well.

  • July - My first trip to Texas (ever) to see my family's new digs in Houston.  A trip to Iowa for a wedding shower.  The hubby will be in Seattle for a bachelor party and I will be running a half marathon in his absence.  Let's go ahead and add in six birthday celebrations over the course of that month for good measure as well!

  • August - Lollapalooza (at least one day!).  Five birthdays (so what if one of them is my dog's?!).  Another wedding in Chicago.

Sprinkle in a little work and/or family related travel activity and you can see how quickly a year can pass you by.  I never really appreciated just how fast time flies, but I am definitely starting to realize I need to slow down and start taking everything in.  At the end of the day, I am beginning to understand that it is OK to say "no" every once in awhile.  Even if the only reason is that you need just one weekend to relax and do nothing.  Because we all deserve, from time to time, to relax and do nothing.








No comments:

Post a Comment