Monday, May 14, 2012

The King Of The North!

Do you remember pretending to be characters from certain television shows growing up?  For me, it was mostly Saved By The Bell and Beverly Hills 90210 with a little bit of The Babysitters Club sprinkled in.  It was always a struggle to determine who was best suited to be the Kellys of the group - of course, you always wanted to be Kelly Kapowski or Kelly Taylor, because they were the prettiest and most popular, but the other girls from each of the shows had their upsides as well.  OK, maybe not all of them, but you get my drift.  I do remember being very torn as to whether I wanted to be Claudia or Stacey from The Babysitters Club though.  Claudia was the artistic/creative one, but Stacey was the fashionista from New York and she dotted her i's with hearts!

Fast forward fifteen years....the exercise has matured, but is very much still the same at its core.  In adult life, with adult friends, we are overly obsessed with Game of Thrones.  So much so, that we cannot have a normal conversation without somehow making a connection to the show, or at least analyzing our own reality as compared to what the characters from the show may have done.  It is a sickness, really.  An addiction.

It started off innocently enough, last 4th of July when a group of eight of us travelled up north to Door County, Wisconsin.  One drunken night around the campfire, Game of Thrones became a main point of discussion and the characters were assigned without hesitation.  It was here that I was given ownership to Arya (from House Stark) as my Game of Thrones identity. 

At the time, I had not read any of the books nor had I seen a single episode of the show.  Upon further investigation, it turns out Arya is a pretty great character and I have no complaints in being associated with the Starks.  It also does not appear that she dies throughout the course of the series - or she at least has a role in all of the books - which means I must be important.  Right?  As an added bonus for being born a Stark, you get a dire wolf as a pet - say no more, I am so in (you can see how this was a slippery slope...).  So there we went down the line, divvying up the characters to best suit each person in the group: Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Sansa Stark, Jon Snow, The Imp, Joffrey and Khaleesi.
 
Trust that I am fully aware of the ridiculousness of all of this.  I tried to fight it for a long time, but somehow got sucked into watching season 2 when it started a few weeks back.  I wish I could say I regret my decision to jump on the bandwagon, but I cannot.  The show is simply amazing, filled with complex story lines and so many twists and turns.  Now if I could only bring myself to read the books.....









  

No comments:

Post a Comment