Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Name is Ali, and I Am An Online Shopping Addict

I wish there were some humor behind the title of this post, but, sadly, this has become a bit of a reality for me as of late.  Mostly, I blame it on my friends and husband.  Without their influences, I would have never signed up for any of the following:  Rue La La, Gilt, Ideeli, Haute Look, ShoeDazzle, Jewel Mint - I think that is all of them....  If I am being entirely honest, I should probably throw Express, Urban Outfitters and Victoria's Secret on that list as well, but only when they are having good sales!  See how I attempt to justify my actions?  Peer pressure....I am far too sensitive.

I am most definitely a repeat offender on Rue La La and Ideeli.  I feel I get the most bang for my buck on these two websites and they really provide, in my opinion, an array of options and price points for my personal style.  From funky clothes, handbags, jewelry and shoes to classic looks for work and business meetings, these two really capture nearly everything I am looking for in an online shopping resource.

Whereas Gilt is more so used for my husband and brother when I am looking for gifts.  I feel like this one has great male options, but not as great of female buys.  Of course, a great find comes up here and there, but for the most part this one is under utilized on a personal level.  Still a great resource, but not my top choice.

ShoeDazzle is a recently discovered diamond in the rough.  They just got rid of their monthly membership policy and now everything is accessible for free.  When I got wind of that, I signed up no questions asked.  I recently purchased two pairs of shoes and I am - in general - satisfied with what I bought.  My only comment would be on the overall quality of the shoes.  They are a little bit shittier than what I would have expected from Kim Kardashian, but for $39.99 I really should have no complaints whatsoever.  You get what you pay for, and this is a great resource for cheap, fun looks that leave you with plenty of money in your wallet to purchase something nicer in the future.  A "quick fix" would be the best way to describe ShoeDazzle for my personal use.

...this somehow turned into a review of deal websites and that was not my intent.  You can see how they all hold a specific purpose though, right?  I digress....

As great as these outlets are to have on hand, I have completely fallen victim to their sole purpose - create and establish a newly discovered need want as the shopper reviews the available sales from one day to the next.  Then, when the realization that I am able to afford these incredible deals that are being offered without blowing my monthly budgets, I suddenly have five new items in my cart and ready for checkout.   I am able to fuel my love for fashion as the daily deals allow me to broaden my own unique style, all the while keeping up with the latest trends and landing great designer buys for next to nothing.  Simply put, I. GET. PLAYED.

I feel it is worth mentioning that I have 0% credit card debt and would NEVER live beyond my means.  Having said that, I am now downgrading this to more of a hobby rather than an addiction, really (spoken like a true addict).  But just as with any hobby, if it is something you enjoy and it is taken away from you, or you are placed on a restricted practice without notice, you go through a bit of withdrawal.  Which brings me to today...  My husband has given me the challenge of not spending any money on clothes, handbags, shoes, jewelry, etc. from now until after we return from our 4th of July trip on July 7th.  NOTHING.

Is it just my own paranoia and fear of blowing it or does that seem like an extremely long time?! 

I have no doubt in my mind that I am capable of successfully executing this task, but as I see the daily emails and alerts for the sales on all of these various deal websites passing me by, I am wondering if it is truly worth it?  I am pretty stubborn, so there is always motivation there, but mostly my motivation is stemming from the fact that I have no more available hangers in my closet to accompany any new purchases at this time.  And I am pretty low on available space for any shoes as well, so there is also that

So what will I have learned from this little exercise when all is said and done?  While I am fully aware of and can appreciate the practice of savings, I have also learned that now is the time to clean out my closet, donate to Goodwill and/or Salvation Army and create some change....and available hangers....and space for growth....both figuratively and literally!
 







No comments:

Post a Comment